Here's two versions of the same three panels on Page Three of the graphic novel. I'm bored with Tom Lyle, so the first version is very traditional (and a bit heavy-handed) work by myself over my pencils.
It's serviceable, but I'm just not feeling any real "guts" to this style. It seems safe.
So, in class on Thursday I started trying some other things. My fellow classmate (odd to say that, since he's also a former student and teaching assistant) Phillip Sevy and I talked quite a bit about options that are different, but not TOO different.
Thus, the next version.
It's done with a much smaller "brush" and a scruffier rendering style that I think adds some energy to the piece.
Am I correct? Am I nuts? Did I not push far enough?
Let me know what you think.
I'm really trying to do something a bit different.
Now, just to tell you: gray tones will be added to this page eventually, so the pages are "inked" on layers and some of the background will be all dot screen.
It looks kind of cool. I'm also going to make all of the gray tones (when they get converted to halftone screens) into a sepia tone and the original foreground elements will stay black.
I have a very rough sample of what that might look like here.
Also, on panel one I did NOT finish doing the layers that I wanted, so it would NOT be all sepia after the branch in the foreground.
I only took two hours to produce this. It's an exercise for class and it DID convince me that I should seriously consider making this a two-color project. It could work.
Don't hold back (but don't be mean.)